The Niagara Parks Commission was established in 1885 to control the lands and buildings immediately surrounding the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. The area, which is now known as Queen Victoria Park, encompassed just 62.2 hectares (154 acres).
In our long history we’ve grown to own and maintain over 1325 hectares (3274 acres) of parkland along the entire length of the Niagara River, stretching 53 km (36 miles) from Fort Erie in the south to Niagara-on-the-Lake in the north.
We are set up like a city within a city, with our own police services, road maintenance, waste collection and all other services needed to sustain our extensive operations. During the height of the tourist season, Niagara Parks employs over 1,700 staff: approximately 300 full-time and 1,400 seasonal hires. Niagara Parks receives no government financing – we raise our own revenues through gift shops, golf courses, restaurants, attractions and parking lots.
Niagara Parks uses the revenues it raises in part to provide numerous FREE activities and facilities for the enjoyment of our visitors from around the world, such as:Niagara Parks Fountain – Niagara Falls, Canada
- FREE concerts and Fireworks throughout the summer
- special festive lighting during the popular Winter Festival of Lights, November to January each year
- thousands of floral displays, including the Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens, Floral Clock, Centennial Lilac Gardens and a year-round Floral Showhouse filled with exotic plants, seasonal displays and free-flying tropical birds.
- the scenic Niagara Parkway and the accessible Niagara River Recreation Trail, that connect our parkland, conservation areas, boat launches, covered picnic pavilions and picnic tables, children’s playgrounds and splash-pads
- over 100 plaques, monuments and War of 1812 sites that commemorate the persons, places and events that played significant roles in Niagara’s history